October is probably my favorite month of the year. Ok, Ok, maybe November is too, but October is a very special time in the Hudson Valley. With so much to do and so much to see, it is hard keep up with al that’s going on. It is often difficult to narrow down the Best Places to Visit in the Hudson Valley any time of the year. October, though, seems the most difficult month out of all of them.
As everyone starts to get ready for all things ‘Halloween‘, the Hudson Valley shows off its Autumn flair and colors. In addition to the Scary and Haunting things to do, the Hudson Valley is also full of non-Halloween festivals and Autumn celebrations.
Although Autumn and Fall Activities take place through November, I am here to show you the activities that you should not miss in the month of October.
Take out a piece of paper and pen and start jotting down some these Special Events. Make sure you go to one or some this year!
According to the I Love NY Website:
“From spooky fright fests and Halloween parades to film festivals and food, you’ll soon realize why fall is the best time to travel to the Empire State.”
Best Places to Visit in Westchester County
Sleepy Hollow and Tarrytown are some of the most famous places to visit during the Halloween Season.
Situated along the Hudson River, Sleepy Hollow is the setting of Washington Irving’s, “The Legend of Sleepy Hollow“. That alone makes it the most popular Hudson Valley Destination in October.
Below are just some of the events that take place in the area in honor of the famous tale.
- Sleepy Hollow Cemetery Tours – Not sure if this is sort of your thing, but this is something I would love to do! Any History lover or admirer of stone statues would love this tour. They offer several different tours during the season.
- Horseman’s Hollow at Philipsburg Manor – During the month of October, Philipsburg Manor is transformed into an interactive and terrifying scene. And immersed in “Legend of Sleepy Hollow”.
- Irving’s Legend – Well if Horseman’s Hollow doesn’t scare you enough, why not try Irving’s Legend at the Old Dutch Church.
Another popular event in Westchester County is the Great Jack O’ Lantern Blaze. This yearly event takes place in Croton-on-Hudson at Van Cortlandt Manor and is truly NOT to be missed!
If Harvest Festivals are more your speed, then make sure you visit several in the Westchester County area. These are some popular ones:
- Harvest Fest at Stone Barns in Pocantico Hills – This is a ticketed event and offers wonderful activities all set on the grounds of Stone Barns.
- Heritage AppleFest in Garrison – This ‘Pay as you wish’ Festival is hosted on the grounds of Boscobel. And that alone should make you want to do.
Best Places to Visit in Rockland County
The following Festivals can be found in Rockland County:
- Pearl River Day in Pearl River – This Annual Event is full of food, music, and a great sense of community.
- Heritage of West Nyack Fall Festival in West Nyack – This great event also combines music, food, hayrides and pumpkin decorating in a wonderful community atmosphere.
- Bear Mountain Octoberfest – Lots of fun will be had at the Annual Octoberfest Celebrations at the Anthony Wayne Recreation Area.
- Traubenfest / Oktoberfest in Tappan – This festival at the German Masonic Park is sure to be loads of fun.
Best Places to Visit in Orange County
- Pumpkinfest in Pine Island – A fun-filled afternoon for children and parents alike.
- Pumpkin Festival in Campbell Hall – Enjoy an afternoon of all things pumpkin at the Hill-Hold Museum.
- AppleFest in Warwick – Said to be the “Orange County’s Largest Festival”, the festival hosts a Pie Baking Contest that get visitors from near and far.
Best Places to Visit in Dutchess County
- Pumpkin Festival in Beacon – The Beacon Sloop Club is host to this wonderful family fun event.
- Soukup Farms Harvest Festival in Dover Plains – In addition to pumpkin picking, at this event you can climb a hay pyramid and get lost in the hay maze.
- NYS Sheep & Wool Festival in Rhinebeck – Here is another great event that takes place at the Dutchess County Fairgrounds.
- Fall Harvest Festival Kickoff Weekend at Fishkill Farms – Apple picking, live music and fresh cider, Oh my!
Although Fall Festivals are lots of fun, remember that many of the local Hudson Valley Farmers Markets continue to be open during the month of October.
Best Places to Visit in Ulster County
- Headless Horseman Hayrides and Haunted House in Ulster Park – Voted ‘Scariest Haunted House in the NorthEast’ the Hayride and Haunted House are not for the faint of heart.
- Heart of the Hudson Bounty Festival in Milton – A fun-filled annual family event that showcases agriculture and businesses of the Hudson Valley.
- Belleayre Fall Festival in Highmount – German food highlights this wonderful family-fun event.
- Fall Festival at Hurds Family Farm in Modena – What better way to admire the Fall foliage but at Hurd’s Family Farm. And apple and pumpkin picking make the day complete.
No matter where you decide to drive to or which activity or festival you decide to partake in, The Hudson Valley shows off its Beauty, Mystery and sense of Community each year in the Month of October.
Which is your favorite festival or Activity in the Hudson Valley?
A Few Things to Know Before attending these events:
- Many of these events and festivals are ticketed. Popular events, like the Great Jack ‘o Lantern Blaze usually sell out quickly.
- Many of these events are rain or shine, although some do offer Rain Dates.
- Check each site for updated information.