Do you love Live Music?
Have you ever wondered about the story behind the 1969 Woodstock Festival?
Dear fellow music lovers,
My one and only regret in life is that I didn’t find out about ‘Bethel Woods Center for the Arts’ sooner. After moving up to the Mid-Hudson Region in 2013, my family and I focused our efforts on finding things within a 10-15 mile radius from where we live and not getting lost along the way. Because we had never lived anywhere rural, we kept all our adventures very close to home. And, boy, did we miss out on a lot those first few years.
Bethel Woods Center for the Arts
Bethel Woods Center for the Arts is located in Bethel, NY (Sullivan County). It is located approximately 2 hours from NYC and is the site of the 1969 Woodstock Festival. This not-for-profit performing arts center and museum hosts a array of musical concerts and festivals throughout the year.
In addition to hosting amazing musical acts and concerts each summer, Bethel Woods also houses a beautiful museum documenting the 1969 Woodstock Festival.
In June 2016, my husband bought me tickets to see Journey and the Doobie Brothers for a birthday present.
All I can say is, “Wow”. Due to Bethel Woods being beautiful, and, equally important, clean and so well organized, I was impressed from the beginning of my visit to the end.
During my second visit in September 2016, I made it a point to arrive early in order to visit ‘The Museum’. Additionally, I was able to visit the museum for a discounted price, because I had a ticket for that evening’s concert. I say that’s a Win-Win!
My third visit in the Summer of 2017 was no less disappointing. I saw Cyndi Lauper and Sir Rod Stewart. Talk about bringing back childhood memories. It was definitely a magical evening!
First Thing I learned from my visits:
The Museum at Bethel Woods is Amazing with a wonderful collection of music memorabilia.
They have many displays full of records, original outfits, and print material.
They also have several video exhibits that take offer an abundance of information regarding the Woodstock Festival.
Second Thing I Learned from my visits:
The Venue is not only about Country Music.
Bethel Woods hosts many concerts during the summer, for all types of Music Lovers. There is absolutely something in the lineup for everyone’s music tastes:
Here is an example of past concerts:
- Zac Brown Band (2016)
- Steely Dan with Steve Winwood (2016)
- Barenaked Ladies (2016)
- An Evening with Bryan Adams (2015)
- Train & The Fray with Matt Nathanson (2015)
- Rascal Flatts with Scotty McCreery and RaeLynn (2015)
- An Evening with James Taylor (2014)
- Santana (2014)
- The Temptations and the Four Tops (2014)
Third Thing I Learned from my visits:
It may be quicker to get to Bethel Woods Center for the Arts than to other music venues in the area.
A Few Things to know before visiting ‘Bethel Woods Center for the Arts’:
- The Music Concerts and Museum are good for everyone, including families with children
- Dining: There are several dining options at Bethel Woods (Music Cafe during the museum hours and a Pre-Concert Buffet on concert days)
- Coach USA/Shortline offers bus service, during summer concert days, from NYC, NJ, and Middletown, NY
- Big V Entertainment offers bus service, during summer concert days, from Monticello Casino
- They allow tailgating before every summer concert event.
- Parking: Parking is always free, but, if you prefer, there is an option to purchase Premium Parking for a fee.
- Concert Prices: Ticket prices vary from event to event. Check their website for prices for each individual event/concert
- Outdoor Concerts at the Pavilion occur during the warm weather months only
- Museum Entry: At the time of this blog post, the entrance fee was $15 (adult)/$11 (ages 8-17)/$6 (ages 3-7)/Free (children under age 3). Half price admission is offered during summer concert days.
Fourth Thing I Learned from my visits:
You have an option for enjoying live music without Breaking the Bank. Bethel Woods is very affordable, considering that they offer free parking and allow you to take in your own food.
Fifth Thing I Learned from my visits:
I didn’t think I would love music more than I already had!
I hope you have an amazing time if you ever decide to visit Bethel Woods Center for the Arts. If visiting the Museum only, a concert only or a combination of the two, I’m sure you will not be disappointed. I’m already planning my next trip up.
Want to read another post about a great music venue? Click the link to read:
Where to Get Your Music Fix in Ulster County
Bethel Woods Center for the Arts
200 Hurd Road
Bethel, NY 12720