How is it that a small, inconspicuous garage door leads to a Wonderland of Spirits? Once you step through the front door at Denning’s Point Distillery, you enter a whole new world of spirits and a strong sense of community. Located in Beacon, NY, Denning’s Point Distillery is an award-winning distillery specializing in Brandy, Bourbon, Whiskey, Gin, and Vodka.
Not being a big drinker myself, I wondered if I thought I’d enjoy the visit, tasting and the demonstration from the owner. I’m here to tell you that it did not disappoint.
Denning’s Point Distillery
Denning’s Point Distillery’s home is in Beacon, NY. Located in Dutchess County, Denning’s Point Distillery is where award-winning liquors are created and born. Off of Main Street and behind a beautifully decorated garage door lives a meticulous setup. Upon entering, the tasting room is located directly on the right. It is small in size but packed with a nice variety of liquors.
We had previously bought a Groupon for a tasting, souvenir shot glass and their tour/presentation. We arrived on a cold, rainy Saturday and were delighted to see so many people also arriving for their 3:30 pm presentation.
In addition to the samples offered as part of the Groupon deal we purchased, there is also a bar set up on the right side of the main room. Here you can buy mixed drinks that highlight their many liquors.
According to their website:
“We craft the finest, artisanal spirits available in one of Beacon, New York’s downtown 19th-century buildings. We choose only the highest quality grains from local farms and strive to create classic spirits of unique character and depth.”
Tour of Denning’s Point Distillery
During the tour of the Distillery, Karl Johnson, co-founder, talks about the process of creating the liquors. I learned that all the materials used in the liquors and spirits come from New York State. Denning’s Point takes great pride in having a relationship with local farmers in order to use the best local supplies.
- The corn comes from in New Paltz, NY
- Barley malt comes from Germantown, NY
- Wheat and Rye comes from the Finger Lakes
What makes this even more special is that they know the farmers personally. Mr. Johnson talks very fondly about the farmers that they partner with. He also shares funny stories about experiences with the farmers during his presentation/tour.
This unique mix of community and craftsmanship make their spirits unique.
The tour is informative and does not get too technical. It is the right mixture of funny and educational and Karl Johnson shows off his wonderful personality. He was very personable and appeared to be speaking to a good friend and not an audience of approximately 30 people.
I learned so much about the process of making different spirits that it lent to a greater appreciation of what I sampled in the tasting room. Karl’s approach to his presentation makes everyone feel like they are a part of the Denning’s Point Distillery family.
Why we love Denning’s Point Distillery
We love the simplicity of the space. Not only do they have a tasting room, but they also have a bar where cocktails are available for purchase. The one-room Distillery houses all the machinery and the products they use to make their liquors.
The staff is friendly and knowledgeable and take the time out to answer any questions. The atmosphere at Denning’s Point Distillery is warm and inviting.
Awards and Acknowledgements
At the time of this posting, Denning’s Point Distillery has been awarded Winner, Best Hudson Valley Distillery in 2015, 2016 & 2017.
- Beacon Bourbon was acknowledged at the 2017 San Francisco World Spirits Competition
- Maid of the Meadow was acknowledged at the 2016 San Francisco World Spirits Competition and is also part of ’50 Best Spirits’
- Great 9 Gin was acknowledged at the 2016 San Francisco World Spirits Competition
Take a Trip to Denning’s Point Distillery
I recommend taking some time and visiting Denning’s Point Distillery. For your first visit, I recommend going on a Saturday afternoon. Trust me… it’s a great way to spend an afternoon.
Tours take place at 2:30 pm; 3:30 pm; and 4:30 pm (Except second Saturday of each month: tours at 2:30 pm and 3:30 pm only). After the initial visit, then you can then make a return visit during the days/times of tastings only: Fridays 2pm-8pm and Sundays 2pm-6pm.
Denning’s Point Distillery also hosts live music at least once a month. Check out their website for more information.
Every 2nd Saturday of every month from 4-7 pm there is an open blues jam session. Open to all musicians.
Below is a picture of me with Karl Johnson. It was so great meeting him.
A Few Things to Know before Visiting Denning’s Point Distillery:
- This place is perfect for Couples, group of friends/family and anyone over 21 yrs of age
- Cost at the time of posting: The tour/tasting combo is $5 p/p
- Days/Hours: Denning’s Point Distillery is open to the public on Fridays 2 pm-8 pm, Saturdays 2 pm-8 pm, Sundays 2 pm-6 pm
- Parking: There is street parking available and a parking lot across the street from the distillery
- The offerings at the Distillery include: Beacon Apple Brandy, Beacon Bourbon, Beacon American Whisky, Great 9 Gin, Viskill Vodka and a Maid of the Meadow Vodka infused with herbs and honey. Visit their website for more detailed information about each spirit.
- The tour/presentation is approximately 25 minutes long
Denning’s Point Distillery
10 N. Chestnut Street