Did you know that Dutchess County is home to the Second most popular County Fair is New York State??? It's true! It's the Dutchess County Fair.
And, let me tell you... It's a pretty awesome Fair. In addition to their famous Summer fair, Dutchess County is also home to several unique places to visit. And I am here to tell you exactly what some these things are.
Believe me when I tell you that there are so many things to do and see in Dutchess County, NY, that I could not list them all in this blog post. Crazy... Right???
Where is Dutchess County, NY?
It is also located between the Hudson River and the state of Connecticut. With just over 800 square miles, there is plenty to do in Dutchess County. From farmlands to small cities, Dutchess County is full of open spaces, bustling towns and the arts. Some places that you may already know in Dutchess County include: Poughkeepsie, Rhinebeck, Beacon, and Fishkill.
But, did you know that Dutchess County, NY is home to a sports teams? The Hudson Valley Renegades play baseball at Dutchess Stadium in Fishkill. How cool is that?!?
According to dutchesstourism.com:
"Covering 800 square miles, there's an abundance of natural scenic beauty, outdoor recreation, historic landmarks, restaurants, festivals and more."
How do you get to Dutchess County, NY?
If you're in New York City, you can hop on the Metro-North Hudson or Harlem Lines and several bus companies. These transportation methods can take you either end of Dutchess County without a hitch.
- The Hudson Line takes you from Grand Central Station in NYC directly to Poughkeepsie, NY with a stop at Beacon, NY.
- The Harlem Line takes you from Grand Central Station in NYC on the Eastern part of Dutchess County with stops in Pawling, Wingdale, Dover Plains, etc.
By car, major highways in and around Dutchess County include I-84 (East/Westbound), Taconic State Parkway (North/Southbound), US Route 9 (North/Southbound) and NY Route 22 (North/Southbound).
Don't forget to find a way of crossing the Mid-Hudson Bridge and the Kingston - Rhinecliff Bridge while you're out exploring. The views of the Hudson River from these two bridges is amazing!
What are some Dutchess County, NY points of interest/destinations?
To be honest, I am always in awe by all the things to see and do in Dutchess County. I have a very long Bucket List of things I want to do in Dutchess County and get excited about all the exploring I have ahead of me.
The Arts in Dutchess County
- If you love art, a visit to DIA:Beacon is a must. Located next to the Metro-North Beacon station and Route 9D, DIA: Beacon is conveniently located and easily accessible. The vast amount and variety of art is amazing.
- The Francis Lehman Loeb Art Center is located on the campus of Vassar College campus in Poughkeepsie.
Music and Performances in Dutchess County
In addition to music and other live events taking place at the Mid-Hudson Civic Center, other notable places to hear live music around Dutchess County are:
- Bardavon 1869 Opera House in Poughkeepsie, NY
- Center for Performing Arts at Rhinebeck
- Richard B Fisher Center for the Performing Arts in Annandale-on-Hudson, NY
Farmers' Markets in Dutchess County
During the Summer, some of the best Farmers Markets also take place in Dutchess County. If you're struggling to find some near you, you can always look at this comprehensive list of Hudson Valley Farmers' Markets.
Glass Art in Dutchess County
Dutchess County is home to premier Glass Blowing Studios. Take a trip to these unique places and watch a demonstration and/or try your hands on blowing some of your own glass.
Farms in Dutchess County
Dutchess County has an extensive selection of farms. These places are great for a family fun - filled day of picking your own produce.
The busiest season is Apple-picking Season.
Have you ever thought about cutting down your own Christmas Tree? You can do so in Dutchess County.
- Barton Orchards in Poughquag, NY
- Abel Tree Farm in Verbank, NY
- Battenfled Christmas Tree Farm in Red Hook, NY
- BJ's Christmas Tree Farm in Array, NY
- Fishkill Farms in Hopewell Junction, NY
- Greig Farms in Red Hook, NY
- and many more...
Historical Places in Dutchess County
One of the most influential people to live in Dutchess County where the Roosevelts'. Hyde Park, NY is home to the Franklin D Roosevelt Home National Historical Site, Franklin D Roosevelt Presidential Library and Museum and the Eleanor Roosevelt National Historic Site.
In addition to these wonderful places, other historical places in Dutchess County include:
- Bannerman Castle on the Hudson River
- Clermont State Historic Site in Germantown, NY
- Clinton House State Historic Site in Poughkeepsie, NY
- Mount Gulian Historic Site in Beacon, NY
- Staatsburgh State Historic Site in Staatsburgh, NY
- And many, many, more...
Where to find more things to do in Dutchess County
In addition to the Events Calendar on this blog, the Events Calendar at the Dutchess County Tourism website is full of events taking place within the County. It is one of the most comprehensive County Events Calendars around!
With so many things to see and do in Dutchess County, NY, it may take you some time to get through them all. But something I can guarantee is that you
may WILL have fun doing so.
Don't forget to click the tab above for 'Dutchess' and this will direct you to all the blog posts written about places in Dutchess County.
Read More about Dutchess County:
- If you plan to spend an Autumn day or weekend in Dutchess County, NY, make sure to download my List of Hudson Valley Orchards and check out some of the best places in the county to pick apples.
- Bannerman Castle is a stunning place to visit. Read my blog post about my visit.
- Read about all the fun we had at the Dutchess County Fair.
A Few Things to Know before visiting Dutchess County, NY:
- Dutchess County is perfect for everyone
- Many places listed here are open seasonally. Check each individual location for the days/times they are open to the public.
- Many places charge an entrance, admission and/or tour fee. Check each individual location for more detailed information regarding prices.
For Additional & Updated Information,