Do you often think to yourself, “What is there to do in the Hudson Valley this weekend. I’m here to tell you that finding things to do in Winter with the family is no easy task. People often ask me if winter is a good time to do things in the Hudson Valley and I excitedly say, “Yes, it is!”
The idea of cold scares a lot of people. However, the Hudson Valley doesn’t always get extremely cold in the Winter.
Not always. But, sometimes it does.
Lucky for you, I am native to the area and have had my fair share of NY Winters. This is why I have a complied this list of events that take place throughout the Winter and are fun for everyone.
Added Bonus: I have included a list The Top 5 Places you Need to visit this Winter that you can access at the bottom of this post.
The places on the list are open throughout the year, including the winter (when most places are closed to visitors and tours). This way you can enjoy these attractions without the crowds that are often found during other times of the year.
And, best of all, these places are indoors, where you can warm up and escape the cold.
** This post contains affiliate links.
Affiliate links means that I get a little money, to help run this blog, with each purchase you make on this post. This comes at no extra cost to you. These are all products that I highly recommend. I will never put anything on my site that I haven’t verified and/or personally used. Please read my disclosure for more information.
It’s just a little way to help a girl out and let me keep bringing you free content!!
Table of Contents:
- The Best Outdoor Activities in the Hudson Valley during Winter
- – Outdoor Events in the Hudson Valley during Winter –
- FEAST FOR THE FEATHERED FRIENDSJanuary 19th: 10am-11amHudson Highlands Nature Museum
- WINTER FUN DAY AT FREEDOM PARKJanuary 26th: 2pm-4pm212 Skidmore Road, Pleasant Valley, NY
- HUDSON RIVER EAGLE FESTIVITIESFebruary 9th: 9am – 4pmBoscobel – 1601 Route 9D, Garrison, NYCroton Point Park – 1 Croton Point Ave, Croton-on-Hudson, NY
- WINTER WEEKENDS AT STORM KING ART CENTERJanuary 19th & 20th: 11am-4pmFebruary 16th & 17th: 11am-4pmMarch 16th & 17th: 11am-4pm1 Museum Road, New Windsor, NY
- GEORGE WASHINGTON’S BIRTHDAY CELEBRATIONFebruary 16th, 17th, 18th: 12pm – 4pmWashington’s Headquarters, Newburgh, NY
- GREENWOOD LAKE WINTER CARNIVALFebruary 16th & 17th: All Day Event7 Windermere Ave, Greenwood Lake, NY
- 2ND ANNUAL ASHOKAN HOT CHOCOLATE FESTIVALFebruary 17th: 10am – 2pmThe Ashokan Center, Olivebridge, NY
- MAPLE SUGAR TOURSSaturdays & Sundays: 11am-3pmFebruary 23rd & 24th; March 2nd, 3rd, 9th, 10th, 16th, & 17thHudson Highlands Nature Museum, Cornwall
- ST PATRICK’S DAY PARADEMarch 2nd: 1pmTown of Wappingers Falls
- WINTER PHOTO SHOOT OPPORTUNITY March 2nd: 2:30pm – 4pmLilymoore Farm, Pleasant Valley, NY
- MAPLE SUGARING PARTYMarch 3rd: 11am – 3pmGreenburgh Nature Center, Scarsdale, NY
- PADDY’S ON THE RIVERMarch 9th: 11am-5pmVictor Waryas Park – Main Street, Poughkeepsie
- SUGARING OFF PARTYMarch 9th: 12 noonTrailside Nature Museum: 11 Reservation Road, Cross River, NY
- PEEKSKILL’S 30TH ANNUAL ST PATRICK’S DAY PARADEMarch 9th: 3pmDowntown Peekskill
- BRAZILIAN CARNIVALMarch 10th: 1:30pm – 3:30pmPelham Art Center
- – Indoor Events in the Hudson Valley during Winter –
- Check this list out and see if you find what to do in the Hudson Valley this weekend
- CANDLELIGHT TOURS OF THE HISTORIC JACOB BLAUVELT HOUSEJanuary 13th: 5pm & 6:30pm20 Zukor Road, New City, NY
- HUDSON VALLEY WING WARSJanuary 12th: 5pm-9pm – Ramada FishkillFebruary 2nd: 5pm-9pm – Orange County Fairgrounds
- HUDSON VALLEY WING FESTJanuary 26th: 5pm-9pmMid-Hudson Civic Center, Poughkeepsie, NY
- TOY & TRAIN SHOWJanuary 27th: 9am-3pmWestchester County Center
- PETAL STEEL GUITAR CONCERT AT COUNTY MUSEUMFebruary 3rd: 2pm-4pm265 Main Street, Hurleyville
- SATURDAY STUDIO AT DIA:BEACONFebruary 9th: 10:30am – 12 pmDIA: Beacon, 3 Beekman Street, Beacon, NY
- LOCAL CHEESES, CHOCOLATES AND WINE PAIRINGSFebruary 9th, 10th, 16th & 17th: 12pm – 5pmBenmarl Winery, Marlboro, NY
- CUPCAKE & WINE PAIRINGFebruary 9th, 10th, 16th & 17thRobibero Winery, New Paltz, NY
- VALENTINE’S WINE, CHEESE & CHOCOLATE TASTING PARTYFebruary 9th: 1pm – 4pmThe Grand Parlor, Cunneen-Hackett Arts Center
- REPTILE EXPOFebruary 10th: 9am-4pmWestchester County Center, White Plains, NY
- CHINESE NEW YEAR LION DANCE & ART WORKSHOPSFebruary 10th: 1:30 – 3:30pmPelham Art Center, Pelham, NY
- ROYAL HANNEFORD CIRCUSFebruary 16th: 10am showWestchester County Center, White Plains, NY
- HUDSON VALLEY FREE DAY AT DIA:BEACONFebruary 24th: 11am – 4pmDia:Beacon, Beacon, NY
- BENMARL’S FREE ROSE TASTING WEEKENDMarch 9th & 10th: 12pm156 Highland Avenue, Marlboro, NY
- BLITHE SPIRIT AT LYNDHURST MANSIONMarch 9th, 16th, 17th, 22nd, 24th, 30th & 31st635 S Broadway, Tarrytown, NY
- HUDSON VALLEY CHOWDER FESTMarch 9th: 1pm-5pmMid-Hudson Civic Center, Poughkeepsie, NY
- THE SEAGULL AT LYNDHURST MANSIONMarch 10th, 15th, 16th, 23rd, 29th, 30th635 S Broadway, Tarrytown, NY
- ASHOKAN’S ANNUAL MAPLE FESTMarch 24th: 10am-4pm477 Beaverkill Road, Olivebridge, NY
- My List of Top 5 Places to Visit this Winter in the Hudson Valley
- Until The Next Adventure…
- Continue Reading:
The Best Outdoor Activities in the Hudson Valley during Winter
Check this list out and see if you find something new to do in the Hudson Valley this weekend
Hiking is a big deal around these parts. There are so many beautiful areas to explore in the Hudson Valley that it’s a Hikers Paradise. Moreover, there are trails and mountains all around the region with endless possibilities of hiking on a new trail. This is also a premier destination for ice climbing.
I am NOT the outdoorsy type, so I rely on other websites, like Hudson Valley Parent, as they offer information, such as cold-weather hiking spots. They post great information about a variety of topics to help parents within the Hudson Valley.
I also live vicariously through people I follow on Instagram. They have some amazing experiences doing things I have yet to try.
While looking at their photos one can see that they have the best ticket to see the Hudson Valley from above.
Pictured Below is a beautiful picture of Carolyn and her pug, Roxy. They hike all over the Hudson Valley Region and Carolyn features her adoring pug in almost all of the photos. It’s wonderful to see all the places that Carolyn and Roxy have visited.
THE 3 S’s: SKIING, SNOWBOARDING & SLEDDING
Are you a skier, snowboarder or sledder? The better known places in the Hudson Valley for these activities are Thunder Ridge Ski Area in Patterson, NY (Putnam Co) and Hunter Mountain in Hunter, NY (Greene Co).
There are also several others in the Hudson Valley, including Belleayre Mountain in Highmount, NY (Ulster Co), James Baird State Park in Pleasant Valley, NY (Dutchess Co) and Thomas Bull Memorial Park in Montgomery, NY (Orange Co). Check out the information online for each and see which one is a better fit for you and your family.
TIP: If you plan on attending any of these events, why not make a weekend out of it. Stay at a local hotel and take in everything the town has to offer. I love to use Booking.com for my reservations. (affiliate link)
– Outdoor Events in the Hudson Valley during Winter –
FEAST FOR THE FEATHERED FRIENDS
January 19th: 10am-11am
Hudson Highlands Nature Museum
This is a great program for the whole family. Learn about helping birds in the winter and create a lovely environment for them in your own backyard. Admission Fee charged.
WINTER FUN DAY AT FREEDOM PARK
January 26th: 2pm-4pm
212 Skidmore Road, Pleasant Valley, NY
Marshmallows, Scavenger Hunt, Music, Crafts and More. Above all, if the weather cooperates, there will also be ice skating on the new rink! There will be a Community Bonfire to keep everyone toasty and warm.
HUDSON RIVER EAGLE FESTIVITIES
February 9th: 9am – 4pm
Boscobel – 1601 Route 9D, Garrison, NY
Croton Point Park – 1 Croton Point Ave, Croton-on-Hudson, NY
Teatown Lake Reservation hosts their yearly festivities honoring the Bald Eagle. Come watch as the Bald Eagle makes its Winter Migration. Croton Point Park will have children’s activities, food trucks and more. Admission Fee charged.
Purchase tickets at: www.teatown.org
WINTER WEEKENDS AT STORM KING ART CENTER
January 19th & 20th: 11am-4pm
February 16th & 17th: 11am-4pm
March 16th & 17th: 11am-4pm
1 Museum Road, New Windsor, NY
Experience Storm King Art Center during the Winter. Weather permitting, portions of the grounds will be open to visitors with Tram service and food services. Admission Fee charged.
Although Storm King is closed during the Winter except for these specific days, you can access my list of Top 5 Places you Need to Visit this Winter in the Hudson Valley at the bottom of this post.
GEORGE WASHINGTON’S BIRTHDAY CELEBRATION
February 16th, 17th, 18th: 12pm – 4pm
Washington’s Headquarters, Newburgh, NY
Each day the General will greet visitors in his headquarters, joined by Martha on Sunday and Monday. Balladeer Thad McGregor will offer musical entertainment. On the grounds, reenactors will perform military drills culminating at the end of the day with a review of the troops by the General himself.
GREENWOOD LAKE WINTER CARNIVAL
February 16th & 17th: All Day Event
7 Windermere Ave, Greenwood Lake, NY
The festival is taking place at the Thomas P. Morahan Waterfront Park and will be fun for children and adult of all ages. There will be children’s activities in the morning (snowtubing, snowman building contest, etc) and adult activities in the evening (live music and cocktails).
2ND ANNUAL ASHOKAN HOT CHOCOLATE FESTIVAL
February 17th: 10am – 2pm
The Ashokan Center, Olivebridge, NY
Warm up your winter with indoor and outdoor activities, crafts, lunch and several great flavors of hot chocolate provided by our executive chef Bill Warnes. Food available for purchase, sledding and demonstrations. $5 admission fee includes two hot chocolate flavors.
MAPLE SUGAR TOURS
Saturdays & Sundays: 11am-3pm
February 23rd & 24th; March 2nd, 3rd, 9th, 10th, 16th, & 17th
Hudson Highlands Nature Museum, Cornwall
Maple Sugar Season is a big deal around the Hudson Valley. Come learn all about the process and enjoy special crafts, games and story telling. Maple Sugar tours fill up quickly, so my advice is to buy tickets in advance.
ST PATRICK’S DAY PARADE
March 2nd: 1pm
Town of Wappingers Falls
Celebrate St. Patricks’ Day with the town of Wappingers at their Annual Parade. Rain or Shine.
WINTER PHOTO SHOOT OPPORTUNITY
March 2nd: 2:30pm – 4pm
Lilymoore Farm, Pleasant Valley, NY
Have you ever met an alpaca? Are you a photographer looking to take amazing photos at an alpaca farm? Well, here’s your chance… Tickets on sale at their website.
MAPLE SUGARING PARTY
March 3rd: 11am – 3pm
Greenburgh Nature Center, Scarsdale, NY
For a fee, you can enjoy sap collection demonstrations and crafts and treats.
PADDY’S ON THE RIVER
March 9th: 11am-5pm
Victor Waryas Park – Main Street, Poughkeepsie
Paddy On The River returns to the Hudson Valley on Saturday March 9th at Waryas Park in Pougkeepsie! The St. Patrick’s Day Celebrations continues in true Irish nature all afternoon with Irish Foods, Vendors, Music & Entertainment, Beer, and so much more! Tickets sold in advance of event.
SUGARING OFF PARTY
March 9th: 12 noon
Trailside Nature Museum: 11 Reservation Road, Cross River, NY
Enjoy winter’s sweet rewards at this annual celebration that offers food, music and sugaring demonstrations all day. Co-sponsored by the Friends of Trailside Nature Museum.
PEEKSKILL’S 30TH ANNUAL ST PATRICK’S DAY PARADE
March 9th: 3pm
The parade is held rain or shine. The parade steps off near Assumption Church, makes its way down Union Avenue, then right on South Street, left on Division Street, right on Main Street and right on James Street. The reviewing stand is on the corner of James and Park Streets.
March 10th: 1:30pm – 3:30pm
Pelham Art Center
We will be dancing in the streets with this performance by Samba Novo. Colorful costumes and exuberant dancing to samba music is the staple of the Carnival festival. A workshop on mask making will follow the dance.
– Indoor Events in the Hudson Valley during Winter –
Check this list out and see if you find what to do in the Hudson Valley this weekend
CANDLELIGHT TOURS OF THE HISTORIC JACOB BLAUVELT HOUSE
January 13th: 5pm & 6:30pm
20 Zukor Road, New City, NY
Experience a Rockland County tradition as you tour the historic 1832 Jacob Blauvelt Farmhouse. Prepaid reservations required.
HUDSON VALLEY WING WARS
January 12th: 5pm-9pm – Ramada Fishkill
February 2nd: 5pm-9pm – Orange County Fairgrounds
Each of the Wing Wars Events will Showcase the best wings from local restaurants, food trucks and caterers. Moreover, each location will have a winner and then one lucky participant will win the grand prize of the entire event. Come and sample the best Wings in the Hudson Valley! Tickets are needed for the event.
HUDSON VALLEY WING FEST
January 26th: 5pm-9pm
Mid-Hudson Civic Center, Poughkeepsie, NY
Wing Fest is celebrating its 12th year. As a result, this year’s is bigger and better than ever. You can sample so many wings that it will make you wonder why you never had wings like that before. Tickets are needed for the event.
TOY & TRAIN SHOW
January 27th: 9am-3pm
Westchester County Center
Another huge Toy & Train event at the Westchester County Center. New and antiques sure to excite enthusiasts of all ages.
PETAL STEEL GUITAR CONCERT AT COUNTY MUSEUM
February 3rd: 2pm-4pm
265 Main Street, Hurleyville
Jay Ganz plays the pedal steel guitar, and for those who don’t know, that’s a console-type guitar with pedals and levers added to allow for more varied and complex music. The program is Free.
SATURDAY STUDIO AT DIA:BEACON
February 9th: 10:30am – 12 pm
DIA: Beacon, 3 Beekman Street, Beacon, NY
Join practicing artists for a free monthly workshop of art making and play in the Learning Lab at Dia:Beacon. Designed for all ages, Saturday Studio is a family friendly program that is most suitable for children ages 5 and up. All families participating in the Saturday Studio program receive free admission to Dia:Beacon for the day.
LOCAL CHEESES, CHOCOLATES AND WINE PAIRINGS
February 9th, 10th, 16th & 17th: 12pm – 5pm
Benmarl Winery, Marlboro, NY
A Hudson Valley Valentine’s Tradition, included 5 wine tastings paired with local cheeses and chocolates. This is a great event to share with your significant other or a group of friends. Event tickets required.
CUPCAKE & WINE PAIRING
February 9th, 10th, 16th & 17th
Robibero Winery, New Paltz, NY
What’s better than cupcakes & wine? During this tasting, you will get 3 wines paired with 3 mini cupcakes, as well as, 3 additional wines at the tasting bar. Seatings occur throughout the day. Event tickets are required.
VALENTINE’S WINE, CHEESE & CHOCOLATE TASTING PARTY
February 9th: 1pm – 4pm
The Grand Parlor, Cunneen-Hackett Arts Center
For $20 p/p Enjoy assorted wines, cheese & chocolate tastings in our Grand Parlor and a photographic exhibit-“An Uncommon Angle” by Holly A. Pierce in the Hall Gallery. Love songs will play in an historic setting for a wonderful cause.
February 10th: 9am-4pm
Westchester County Center, White Plains, NY
The largest Reptile Expo in the Northeast. Over 150 reptile breeders and thousands of reptiles will be on display and for sale. There will also be supplies for sale. There is an admission fee payable at the door.
CHINESE NEW YEAR LION DANCE & ART WORKSHOPS
February 10th: 1:30 – 3:30pm
Pelham Art Center, Pelham, NY
Head out and Celebrate the Year of the Pig! This Event is Free and appropriate for all ages. Enjoy traditional Chinese New Year Dancing and Craft Workshops.
READ MORE: A Quick Guide of Westchester County, NY
ROYAL HANNEFORD CIRCUS
February 16th: 10am show
Westchester County Center, White Plains, NY
This is a family favorite and has become a yearly tradition for many. Make plans to see this incredible ‘acrobatics’ circus in the heart of White Plains. Tickets on sale.
HUDSON VALLEY FREE DAY AT DIA:BEACON
February 24th: 11am – 4pm
Dia:Beacon, Beacon, NY
If you have not yet visited DIA:Beacon, this is your chance! Hudson Valley residents receive free admission to Dia:Beacon on the last Sunday of each month.
BENMARL’S FREE ROSE TASTING WEEKEND
March 9th & 10th: 12pm
156 Highland Avenue, Marlboro, NY
Join us for a free tasting of our four Rosè (Pink Wines) here at Benmarl. We will be offering a free tasting of our four pink wines with a purchase of our regular tasting fee of $10. That means you will be trying 10 of our award winning wines for $10.
BLITHE SPIRIT AT LYNDHURST MANSION
March 9th, 16th, 17th, 22nd, 24th, 30th & 31st
635 S Broadway, Tarrytown, NY
According to their FB Events Page:
“Blithe Spirit is a high-spirited comedy with a surprising supernatural turn. This much-loved classic centers on an invitation to an eccentric medium to conduct a spooky séance but the evening takes an unexpectedly ghostly turn in this lighted-hearted, endearing Broadway and West End smash hit.” Advance tickets recommended.
HUDSON VALLEY CHOWDER FEST
March 9th: 1pm-5pm
Mid-Hudson Civic Center, Poughkeepsie, NY
Sample Amazing Chowders, Soups and Chilis at the Food lover’s Event! There will be a Chili Cook-off Battle between Firemen and Police. Breweries and Cideries will be present to help you finish off your samplings. Advance tickets available for purchase.
THE SEAGULL AT LYNDHURST MANSION
March 10th, 15th, 16th, 23rd, 29th, 30th
635 S Broadway, Tarrytown, NY
According to their FB Page:
“Chekhov’s masterpiece, wherein art and love, life and death, find an intersection on the grounds of a beautiful estate in the Russian countryside.” Advance tickets recommended.
ASHOKAN’S ANNUAL MAPLE FEST
March 24th: 10am-4pm
477 Beaverkill Road, Olivebridge, NY
For a fee, Enjoy all-day pancakes off the griddle topped with Ashokan Maple syrup and maple bacon. There will also be guided hikes, tree tapping and maple syrup making demonstrations and so much more…
In order to enjoy all the Hudson Valley has to offer this Winter, here are a few things to keep in mind:
- Plan ahead, but not too far in advance, as the weather can change quickly
- Rely on local weather sites, like Hudson Valley Weather.com for accurate weather forecasts
- Visit the Hudson Valley Exposed FB Events Calendar often, so you can plan what to do on the weekends
- Buy tickets in advance, as many of these popular events sell out quickly
- Download the ‘Top 5 Places you Need to Visit this Winter in the Hudson Valley’ and enjoy some HV history without the crowds.
- Come back to this post, as I continue to add events as I find them online.
- Don’t forget that sites like Groupon also have great things listed all the time! (affiliate link)
My List of Top 5 Places to Visit this Winter in the Hudson Valley
Get the password for the library with my list of Top 5 places to visit this Winter in the Hudson Valley here by filling out this form:
FYI – If you’re already a subscriber, then you have access to the list in the Resource Library.
Until The Next Adventure…
Like This Post? Pin It!
[recent_post_carousel design=”design-28″ show_author=”false” show_content=”false” link_target=”blank” image_size=”large” slides_to_show=”3″ slides_to_scroll=”3″ dots=”false” autoplay=”false” limit=”-1″ orderby=”rand” category=”2603″]