I’m sure you want to know why you should visit the Walkway Over the Hudson????
So, let me tell you why…
Where is The Walkway Over The Hudson Located?
The Walkway Over the Hudson is part of the ‘Hudson Valley Rail Trail’ and runs over the Hudson River connecting Ulster County in Highland, NY to Dutchess County in Poughkeepsie, NY.
The Walkway is the World’s Longest Elevated Pedestrian Bridge. Since being rebuilt and re-opened in October 2009, the Walkway Over the Hudson State Historic Park is a place like no other. The Walkway over the Hudson is a total of 1.5 miles of pedestrian space over the majestic Hudson River. It not only serves as free public space, but also hosts an array of charity walks and other organized activities.
According to their Website:
“Since opening in October 2009, Walkway Over the Hudson State Historic Park has improved the quality of life in the Hudson Valley and is making significant, positive contributions to the local and regional economy. It is open year-round, offering programs, events and tours made possible through membership and donations to the Walkway organization.”
What makes the Walkway Over The Hudson so special?
The Walkway over the Hudson is open from dusk to dawn year round. On some nights, it’s open later in the evening for Special Member-Only Events. The Walkway hosts special events and these events typically bring together people from the local communities, as well as, people visiting from afar.
The Walkway over the Hudson is managed by volunteers and they take great pride in what they do. It’s an amazing place to visit, as you can walk from Poughkeepsie to Highland, NY or vice versa, in addition to the walk, you can take the glass elevator to Poughkeepsie’s waterfront at Upper Landing Park.
When visiting, we start our walks on the Ulster County side in Highland, NY. We park the car and begin our walk, partially on the Rail Trail until we get to the gated entrance of the Walkway. We love being able to get outdoors, take a nice walk and look at the spectacular views along the way.
If you plan to spend the day at The Walkway over the Hudson, make sure to visit other local places, such as ‘Bad Seed Cider Co Tap Room’, in Highland, NY
Read my blog post by clicking the link: Bad Seed Cider Co
Movies Under the Walkway Over the Hudson
(Summer Event only)
Speaking of Upper Landing Park, the Walkway over the Hudson hosts “Movies Under the Walkway Over the Hudson” during the summer months. The organization sets aside five evenings during the summer to screen family-friendly movies. It is free to the public. Before the movie is shown, the crowd is entertained by local bands playing fun music for all to enjoy. It is a great way to spend a summer evening with your family. Free and Fun – that’s a Win-Win!
A few things to know before visiting
The Walkway Over the Hudson:
- This place is perfect for anyone to visit: Families, Singles, Couples, etc.
- Cost: Walkway Over the Hudson is always Free (there is a donation box on the Walkway and they are happy to accept any donations that help keep this great place running smoothly)
- Parking (Ulster County): Free on the Ulster County Side (Highland, NY)
- Parking (Dutchess County): NOT FREE on the Dutchess County side (Poughkeepsie, NY)
- Portable bathrooms available for use
- There are vending machines offering drink options on either side of the Walkway
- There have been food/ice cream trucks during my visits (Mostly on weekends)
- Days Open/Hours: The Walkway over the Hudson is open from Dawn to Dusk, Year Round
- The Walkway over the Hudson is dog-friendly, but keep in mind that the pavement gets very hot during the summer months
The Walkway Over The Hudson
87 Haviland Road, Highland, NY
– or –
61 Parker Ave, Poughkeepsie, NY
What is Your Favorite New York State Park?
Leave me a comment below and I’ll be sure to visit and feature it in a future post.
Until the Next Adventure…
Did You Like This Post?
Join other visitors who receive new post notifications and an occasional fun email from me right in their inbox!